No matter who you are or what you do, you are sure to run into a few critics over the course of your journey through life. One of the most amazing things that has happened to me over the last 10 years of being an activist and speaker is learning to deal with criticism. I can tell you that this journey has not always been easy and there are still days when the criticism comes that it is tough. However, I have found that the more I continue to step into my power and the more I continue to grow myself spiritually and health wise, the more I am able dissolve the effects of criticism with ease.
Aristotle said ” There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.”
How true is that for our lives? The minute we want to change our health, mindset or finances the critics show up in crowds don’t they? But where were those people when you were sitting there doing nothing?
The reality is when you start to step into your power it can be a threat to those that are not living into theirs. Subconsciously they must find ways to attack you. I always say to my team, “If you are not getting attacked then you are not doing amazing things in the world.”
Over the last few years I have encountered my fare share of critics. Because the work I do that is largely ignored by the masses I still encounter those critics daily. The difference is how I have been able to deal with them that has shifted. It used to be if someone didn’t like something I said or did it would haunt me for days and the voice in my head would tell say, ” This is why you should just do nothing, its just safer and easier.” But that little imposter voice could not drown out the voice of my soul that was screaming for me to go out in the world and make a difference. So I chose to listen to my higher self instead of my imposter. And you can too!
I have discovered that there are 10 resources to have on hand in order to quickly dissolve critics. I am not saying that all criticism is bad, because constructive criticism is really essential to fully create an amazing life, but what is not essential is having the opinions of others stop or sabotage you from your goals.
Here are my 10 Tips to Dissolve Critics With Ease
- Consider the Source— Ask yourself if the person giving the criticism is living or has a life that you admire or desire. If the answer is no then it is a clear sign to let that opinion go quickly.
- Ground Yourself in Faith— Having strong spiritual muscles will help you overcome and work through any challenge. Know that the only opinion that really matters is how you perceive yourself and how God perceives you.
- Bless and Release–When people are nasty to you, the easiest emotion to have is anger and wanting to retaliate, but often this is just a waste of your energy and only hurts you. By blessing the person and releasing the judgment from your life it puts you back in control of the situation. And sometimes silence is much more powerful then words. I bless and release on a daily basis!
- Know Who You Are— Having confidence and self worth is essential to letting criticism go. The more you honor and love yourself the easier it is to not take things personally when people attack you. Stay true to who you are.
- It’s Not About You— One of the fastest ways to release unwanted criticism is by acknowledging and understanding that someone else’s perception of you is none of your business. Often when people get upset with others or judge others it’s because they recognized something in that person that they don’t like about themselves, and since it is easier to blame others then take responsibility they felt the need to tell you how crappy you are. Do not take this on as your problem. It actually has nothing to do with you.
- What You Resist Persists— What we focus on expands, so whether we allow ourselves to get tied up in what others might say about us or let it go, will determine how long a situation will last. The best thing you can do is see if there is something to learn from the situation and move on.
- Forgive— Forgiving the people who bash you or don’t understand you is one of the most liberating things you can do. When you forgive it sets you free! This doesn’t mean you have to allow any sort of abuse or bad behavior from people, but you can simply forgive and move on with out letting the situation eat you alive.
- Sleep On It— Often when we are upset or offended we tend to react in a different way then if we let ourselves think about the issue and then respond. I always like to sleep on things before I make a final decision of how I am going to deal with a situation. This can give you peace and clarity of how you want to move forward.
- Take Criticism As A Compliment–Ohh… this one is tough right?! But it is really powerful if you can do it. If people are criticizing you it means they are taking notice of what you have going on. This is a great thing because it means you are not sitting around doing nothing, but are taking action! Be proud of yourself and just say ‘thank you for sharing’ if you don’t know what else to say.
- Remember You Are Not Alone–We have all been attacked and criticized at some point in our lives. While it doesn’t always feel good know that you are never alone in this. Even the person criticizing you has been criticized, and maybe that is all they have ever known so they are repeating a vicious cycle. Have sympathy for them and know that the faster you release it, the stronger you will be!
Now go out there armed with these tools and live the healthiest, happiest, and most abundant life you can!
After all when you are taking your last breath on the Earth are you really going to care what they said anyways? Or are you going to care more about what you accomplished?